ABOUT HUMANITY UNITED:
Humanity United is a foundation dedicated to bringing new approaches to global problems that have long been considered intractable. We build, lead, and support efforts to change the systems that contribute to problems like human trafficking, mass atrocities, and violent conflict. HU is part of The Omidyar Group, a diverse collection of organizations, each guided by its own approach, but united by a common desire to catalyze social impact.
Humanity United is seeking a motivated and organized Policy Associate to support our Policy and Government Relations team, based in our Washington DC office.
As our new Policy Associate, you will provide administrative and programmatic support to the Policy and Government Relations team. In this role, you will support grant processes and reporting, contribute to research and learning efforts, and provide administrative support to the work of the team such as scheduling, preparing meeting materials, and coordinating meetings or events.
This position will be a good fit for someone who is happy and engaged in an administrative role and who has an eye for managing systems and processes.
As the successful candidate, you’ll have exceptional attention to detail, great initiative and the ability to keep a variety of projects running smoothly. You will capably and professionally deal with a wide range of stakeholders, and your prior experience in a similar administrative role might be within a non-profit or a foundation, or another similar organization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Support the team in the development and maintenance of program administration and communication systems and files, records, and other information retrieval systems, as necessary; handle team’s knowledge management on Box/intranet.
- Manage information that comes into the team, such as conference materials, reports, correspondence, other documents, and file, copy, and distribute as needed.
- Undertake research on policy priorities, legislative updates, and program developments in key countries and on target issues.
- Assist with any data entry/spreadsheet management, activity tracking needs.
- Support the team in editing and formatting of internal and external presentations, written materials, and web content.
- Monitor media reports, undertake Internet searches/literature review, and conduct other research to keep the team apprised of relevant developments.
- Prepare relevant background information for meetings and presentations. Compile reference materials as needed; prepare agendas and take minutes as requested.
- Draft communications with partners about grantmaking process, opportunities to collaborate, and media.
Operations & Logistics
- Assist the Director, with scheduling and other administrative tasks, as needed.
- Support the team in planning and preparing for international trips and meetings.
- Support planning and organizing of events, conferences and meetings, and participate, as needed.
- Ensure expense reports are completed in a timely manner.
- Support other duties as determined by institutional priorities.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 2+ years of work experience. Non-profit organization or foundation experience is desired but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Affairs, International Development, Public Policy, Law or other relevant field.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgement and flexibility.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (a writing sample may be required).
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize, and a willingness to support team members on a variety of tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills to work successfully with a variety of individuals and cultures.
- Must be a creative and independent self-starter, while being a strong team player who acts with diplomacy at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to use MS Office tools for Mac, including Excel, PowerPoint, email, calendars, etc.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and high levels of initiative.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
Please submit your letter of inquiry and resume