ABOUT HUMANITY UNITED:
Humanity United (HU) is a foundation dedicated to cultivating the conditions for enduring freedom and peace. We support and build efforts to transform the systems that contribute to human exploitation and violent conflict. HU is part of The Omidyar Group, a diverse collection of organizations, each guided by its own approach, but united by a common desire to catalyze social impact.
Humanity United is seeking a hands-on and collaborative People Associate to join our team! This role is ideal for someone seeking to learn and take on new challenges in your HR career while also managing a variety of day-to-day administrative responsibilities to support the success of our people.
The People Associate will provide operational support for the full scope of the People team’s activities, including recruitment administration, supporting new hire onboarding, training administration, managing and maintaining our HR systems, records and tools, and project management support across the People team.
The successful candidate will bring outstanding attention to detail, a proactive approach and a focus on customer service. Ideally, you will have some experience supporting HR/ People Operations, or have spent time in another role with a high level of operational excellence and customer service expectations.
This is a full-time, non-exempt role, reporting to the Director, People. During the COVID-19 pandemic, all HU staff are working from home. When our offices do reopen, returns will be on an opt-in and gradual basis. During 2021, this role can be based anywhere in the US. From January 2022 onwards, we are open to either a San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC location.
Core Job Responsibilities:
Provide excellent customer service to staff to address and resolve employee questions
HR Systems Support
- Manage and maintain HR systems including HRIS and 401k, including new employee enrollments, i-9 verifications, status changes and leaves of absence
- Assist with benefits administration by supporting the annual open enrollment process, new hire enrollments, and answering staff questions
- Maintain electronic and hard copy employee files
- Maintain HR forms, templates, and resources
Employee Engagement & Communications
- Assist with monthly staff meeting and bi-weekly team calls by supporting Zoom host, coordinating agenda, and managing recordings
- Support internal communications activities and processes
- Provide administrative support to cross-HU DEIJ groups and initiatives
- Assist with regular employee engagement and wellbeing surveys
- With Facilities team, provide administrative support to virtual engagement events and mailings as needed
- Assist with all-staff events (e.g. annual all-staff retreat and learning gatherings)
- Post job vacancies
- Support hiring teams with interview logistics, scheduling and candidate communications
- Coordinate onboarding logistics and scheduling for new hires
- Schedule and organize team development sessions and workshops
- Manage regular required compliance trainings
- Maintain a forward calendar of engagement & training activities
- Assist with People Team projects and priorities as needed
- Undertake research on key themes to support team priorities
- Help to continuously streamline team processes
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Commitment to HU’s mission and core values (including Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice) is a must.
- Experience supporting a Human Resources / People Operations function, or in a role with a similar level of operational excellence & customer service expectations.
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Ability to maintain highest standards of confidentiality
- Flexibility to handle a variety of tasks and manage competing priorities
- The right to work in the United States
It’s a bonus if you bring:
- Direct lived experience of the issues we work on.
- Experience with HRIS and/or benefits systems, and/or the ability to learn new tools and systems
- In-depth proficiency with MS Office for Mac, Adobe Reader and Acrobat
- Ability to develop and track budgets
- Experience working in a distributed team
We encourage applicants lacking formal or direct experience to describe how their background has served as preparation for this role.