Working Capital Investment Fund (“WCIF”)
WCIF was launched in 2017 with an ambitious vision to eliminate labor exploitation and enable better conditions for vulnerable workers in corporate supply chains through a market-based approach to change. Alongside innovative entrepreneurs and like-minded investors, WCIF is redefining global corporate supply chains and leveraging new technologies such as blockchain, machine learning, sensors, and interconnected Internet of Things (IoT) solutions to promote important supply chain interventions.
WCIF currently manages $25 million in capital and is focused on investments addressing worker engagement, product traceability, ethical recruitment/sourcing and risk assessment. WCIF II is expected to launch in 2020.
WCIF was created by Humanity United, part of The Omidyar Group, a diverse collection of organizations representing the philanthropic, personal, and professional interests of Pierre and Pam Omidyar. Each is guided by its own approach, but united by a common desire to catalyze social impact.
Humanity United is a foundation dedicated to bringing new approaches to global problems that have long been considered intractable. It builds, leads, and supports efforts to change the systems that contribute to problems like human trafficking, mass atrocities, and violent conflict. HU is part of The Omidyar Group, a diverse collection of organizations, each guided by its own approach, but united by a common desire to catalyze social impact.
San Francisco, CA
WCIF seeks to recruit a Managing Director to join its investment team. The successful candidate will lead all aspects of the investment process alongside Managing Directors Ed Marcum and Dan Viederman and will be a key member of the Investment Committee. Responsibilities include sourcing, due diligence, negotiations and closing of seed and early stage direct investments. This individual will be expected to take an active role on company boards and work closely with portfolio companies to guide business model implementation toward maximum structure sustainability and social impact. S/he will also participate actively in firm management and future fundraising efforts.
- Cultivating relationships with potential investors and portfolio companies
- Conducting due diligence on potential investments and monitoring existing portfolio companies, including valuations and financial modeling
- Structuring and executing investment deals
- Monitoring financial and social impact performance of portfolio companies
- Preparing investment updates for limited partners meetings
- Identifying and pursuing thoughtful exit opportunities that generate returns while preserving social impact
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in early stage investing in addition to some impact investing experience. This person must be able to lead all aspects of new investments and possess the personal presence and communication skills necessary to influence C-level executives, entrepreneurs, other investors, boards of directors and other sophisticated constituents while maintaining positive working relationships. A superb networker, this person will have well-established relationships with entrepreneurs, management teams, industry analysts, other investors and service providers that he/she utilizes to proactively identify investment opportunities.
The successful candidate will possess strong investment conviction and judgment yet be open to influence through collaboration with others. S/he will have the desire and ability to play an impactful role in a highly collaborative, dynamic, mission-driven and team-oriented culture.
Ideal qualifications include:
- 10+ years of business experience with a proven track record in early stage venture capital investing. Some impact investing experience is preferred, but not required.
- Established investment execution skills, including exits.
- Extensive expertise conducting valuations and financial modeling of early growth startups.
- Knowledge of technology product development and management.
- Familiarity with legal structuring of debt and equity deals and exposure to corporate mergers and acquisitions.
- Board seat experience and familiarity with corporate governance issues.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, judgment and discretion.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, management, organizational and communication skills; entrepreneurial self-starter.
- Strong interest in joining a team-oriented, collaborative, collegial, mission-driven partnership.
- Respect and commitment to Humanity United’s reputation, organizational culture and values.
- Willingness to relocate to San Francisco.
- A team-oriented, “low-ego” individual who works collaboratively in a high-performance environment.
- Impeccable character with high ethical and quality standards.
- A commitment to a culture of excellence.
- Graduate level degree or higher and professional certification in relevant field (business, financial planning/analysis)
To make nominations for this position, please contact:
Presidio Search Group, LLC