San Francisco Bay Area location
ABOUT HUMANITY UNITED
Humanity United (HU) is a philanthropic organization dedicated to cultivating the conditions for enduring peace and freedom. We recognize that we live in a deeply interconnected world where we are all united by the challenges and opportunities we face. We support and walk alongside partners who are working to advance human dignity and change the systems that enable violent conflict and human exploitation around the world. Together, we strive to foster a more inclusive, free, and peaceful world where all people have an opportunity to flourish.
Humanity United is seeking a Manager, Community to play a key role in supporting an inclusive and cohesive organizational culture that aligns with HU’s mission and values and centers belonging in a remote/hybrid environment.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Organizational Transformation, this role operates as a partner to the SF Operations Manager and broader Facilities and People teams to shape the physical and virtual workplaces that reflect HU’s values and design and implement organizational culture efforts.
The Manager, Community plays a crucial role in community building and connection across HU, managing the organization’s operating rhythm and leading content design and logistics for in-person and virtual all staff gatherings. Additionally, this role will have key contributions in shaping employee experience and creating inventive virtual engagement opportunities bridging both office-based and remote staff.
As the ideal candidate, you will bring a passion for operations, community building in a remote/hybrid environment, and project management, with a demonstrated ability to work across multiple teams and manage competing demands. A high EQ and ability to build strong working relationships is key. This role requires strong organizational skills, a sense of humor, and the ability to pivot and think creatively. Event design and virtual event facilitation experience is a must.
Based in San Francisco, this role will report to the Senior Director, Organizational Transformation. This is a full-time, exempt position. Our hybrid work approach provides ongoing flexibility for remote work, however the duties of this role will require onsite support in San Francisco equivalent to 2-3 days onsite on average during business hours as well as for special events, in-person meetings, and periodic in-person team gatherings.
Core Job Responsibilities:
Community Building & Connection
- Design and implement organizational culture efforts to support the organization’s shift to a remote/hybrid work environment and build a sense of belonging and community across two offices and remote locations.
- Develop and manage an operating rhythm of recurring organization-wide gatherings to ensure continued momentum on implementing the organizational strategy and progress toward our organizational culture goals.
- Lead the agenda design, content, and internal communications for the annual in-person All Staff Retreat and virtual organization-wide gatherings (all staff meetings, team connection calls).
- Plan, schedule, promote, and execute quarterly virtual community-building gatherings for all staff, working closely with the Senior Director, SF Operations Manager, and DC Office Manager to foster deeper connections among staff.
- Manage an organization-wide calendar and conversation map that integrates all internal organization-wide meetings and touchpoints.
Operations Support and Events Management
- Serve as a thought partner to and collaborate with the Operations Manager on virtual and in-person event management, facility vendors, and office operations.
- Build relationships with and work together with HU’s outside vendors, using a DEIJ lens in vendor sourcing, selection, and management.
- Facilitate and manage logistics (breakout rooms, screen sharing, etc.) for virtual organization-wide gatherings.
- Advise and partner with staff to support use of virtual collaboration and facilitation tools such as Zoom, Mural, and Loom.
- Collaborate with the DC Operations Manager and SF Office Manager to support in-person community-building events for SF-based and DC-based staff, as needed.
- Support SF Operations Manager and DC Office Manager on logistics for two annual in-person gatherings, the Annual Learning Loop and All Staff Retreat.
- Provide backup support for the Operations Manager on office services and events in the San Francisco office.
- Assist the IT, Facilities, and Security team with facilities needs and special projects from time to time.
- Partner with the Operations team including the Director of IT, Facilities, and Security to ensure health and safety in our work environment in support of wellbeing.
- Design, vet, and implement meaningful opportunities for staff to have their voices directly heard and valued by HU leadership at organization-wide gatherings.
- Foster a culture of appreciation by recognizing work and life milestone moments, including work anniversaries, Kudoboards, and staff gifts.
- Manage HU-branded collateral by monitoring supply levels, maintaining vendor relationships, designing new pieces in coordination with the Communications team, and distributing to new hires.
- Develop and implement opportunities to communicate HU’s values internally, including managing the HU Values Recognition program.
- Partner with Senior Director, Organizational Transformation and the People team on other employee experience initiatives and projects, as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Commitment to HU’s mission and values (including Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice) is a must.
- Passion for bringing people together and building community.
- Experience planning and designing meetings, retreats and events.
- Experience working in a high-energy, professional environment, with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated high level of customer service proactivity and support.
- Proficient knowledge of Apple and Microsoft Office hardware/software products and videoconferencing technology, with the ability to learn other applications as needed.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills to work successfully with a variety of individuals and cultures, and with people at all levels, including senior leaders, cross-functional teams, working groups, staff across the org, and external partners and vendors.
- A high EQ with strong communication, influencing, and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional program and project management skills, with experience successfully engaging and coordinating multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to occasionally work after normal business hours and weekends to support events.
It’s a bonus if you bring:
- Experience in a multi-state organization with remote staff and/or a distributed workforce.
- Experience facilitating meetings, gatherings, or trainings.
- Interest, passion, or direct lived experience of the issues we work on.
- Bachelor’s Degree, equivalent qualifications or equivalent experience.
- Experience with writing, desktop publishing, and graphic design, with tools such as Adobe CC Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, Affinity Designer, Photo, and/or Publisher.
- Experience utilizing CRM and project management platforms, as well as proficiency in online collaborative tools such as Mural and Loom.
We encourage qualified candidates with informal or indirect experience to describe how their background has served as preparation for this role.
For a San Francisco location, the starting salary range for this position is $107,592 – $119,547 based on skills, experience and background. At HU, salary progression is based on performance and proficiency in a role over time. The full salary range for this role in San Francisco is $107,592 – $125,524.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via our careers site: