Executive Associate & Board Liaison
ABOUT HUMANITY UNITED:
Humanity United is a foundation dedicated to bringing new approaches to global problems that have long been considered intractable. We build, lead, and support efforts to change the systems that contribute to problems like human trafficking, mass atrocities, and violent conflict. HU is part of The Omidyar Group, a diverse collection of organizations, each guided by its own approach, but united by a common desire to catalyze social impact.
Humanity United is seeking an experienced and dynamic Executive Associate to support our Managing Partner. Based in Washington DC, this unique role provides high-level executive support to the Managing Partner and also serves as Humanity United’s key administrative liaison to the Board of Trustees and for all Board meetings.
In this position, you’ll also coordinate internal and external communications on behalf of the Managing Partner, and plan projects and events related to the Managing Partner’s scope. This is a critical role for our organization, and we’re seeking someone who can truly make it his or her own.
To be successful in this role, you’ll be proactive, creative and collaborative, with outstanding attention to detail and pride in your work. You’ll also have a proven track record of juggling many competing priorities and building strong collaborative relationships as a trusted partner across an organization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide administrative support to the Managing Partner, including calendaring, schedule management, expense reports, etc.
- Handle the Managing Partner’s travel, meeting and conference schedules, and logistics. Provide preliminary research, meeting materials and travel arrangements, and prepare briefing packages/talking points/speech outlines.
- Support the Managing Partner’s workload and anticipate their needs by balancing information flow, resolving and prioritizing issues, and providing analysis and advice on key issues.
- Schedule, prepare and brief Managing Partner for all meetings.
- Research, prioritize, and address incoming issues and concerns addressed to the Managing Partner, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Resolve appropriate course of action, referral or response.
- Act as a conduit and liaison for smooth communication between the Executive office and the rest of HU, with an emphasis on building credibility and trust.
Board Support and Liaison:
- Serve as the Managing Partner’s administrative liaison to the Board of Trustees.
- Lead all Board Meeting logistics and work with staff to prepare for meetings.
- Assist Managing Partner and Executive Team with Board communications and presentations.
- Prepare briefs, reports and analysis as needed, and compile Board Book on behalf of the Managing Partner and with supervision of the General Counsel and Board Secretary.
- Assist Board members with travel arrangements and logistics as needed.
- Adhere to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding board and board committee matters, including advance distribution of materials before meetings.
- Maintain discretion and confidentiality in relationships with Board of Trustees.
Communications, Partnerships and Outreach:
- Ensure quality control for all Managing Partner communications (staff, board, and external).
- Strategically drive the use of the Managing Partner’s leadership voice, internally and externally, in partnership with the Communications team.
- Plan and execute organization-wide events on behalf of Managing Partner.
- Lead multiple complex departmental/company-wide projects and priorities as significant to Managing Partner’s scope.
- Work with the Managing Partner to support critical grantee and partner relationships.
- Follow up on contacts made by the Managing Partner and support the cultivation of ongoing relationships.
- Other duties assigned from time to time, as needed by institutional priorities.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Extensive experience providing high-level support to C-level Executives.
- Experience with the preparation and management of Board documents (including resolutions, minutes and committee charters) and/or as a Board secretary.
- Must have outstanding attention to detail, multi-tasking and problem-solving skills including the ability to prioritize and make judgements about what is urgent vs important.
- Must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication abilities.
- Ability to build partnerships and collaborate successfully with staff and partners from a wide variety of backgrounds and cultures
- Comfort with ambiguity and a high level of flexibility and adaptability.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data, to prepare concise summaries, and to provide sound recommendations related to very complex issues.
- Must have experience working with high profile individuals and on high profile projects using appropriate sensitivity and confidentiality
- Ability to work evenings and weekends when necessary. Ability to travel to support Board meetings and other Executive Office work several times per year.
It’s a bonus if you bring:
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience.
- Prior work in a non-profit or philanthropic organization and/or an international context.
- Fluency (not expertise) across key operational areas such as financial analysis, HR, IT, Legal, and knowledge of what foundations do and how they typically work.
- Advanced knowledge of Apple and Microsoft Office hardware/software products and videoconferencing technology
- Experience and/or professional interest in internal and external communications.