Associate General Counsel
ABOUT HUMANITY UNITED:
Humanity United is a foundation dedicated to bringing new approaches to global problems that have long been considered intractable. We build, lead, and support efforts to change the systems that contribute to problems like human trafficking, mass atrocities, and violent conflict. HU is part of the Omidyar Group, which represents the philanthropic personal and professional interests of the Omidyar family.
We are seeking a full-time, mid-level attorney (4 years of experience minimum) with a commitment to working in the nonprofit sector and an interest in joining a dynamic grantmaking and direct impact enterprise consisting of a 501(c)(3) private foundation, a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization, a 501(c)(3) public charity, and an early stage impact venture fund. Substantively, the position requires an attorney who has a working knowledge of the legal rules that apply to tax-exempt organizations but who is also a strong generalist or has the capacity to become one quickly. Depth of experience in one or more of the other legal areas of responsibility listed below is also highly desirable. In terms of approach, the ideal candidate will be customer-service oriented and able to offer legal counsel across departments, collaborating with others to devise and implement creative legal solutions in a complex nonprofit setting.
The Associate General Counsel will report to the General Counsel and will support HU’s work by advising on contracts, grantmaking, direct charitable activities, nonprofit tax, advocacy and lobbying, communications, trademarks, human resources and organizational policy issues. The position includes ongoing, day-to-day activities as well as longer-term projects such as managing the enterprise’s lobbying allocation process, designing and maintaining contract and grant workflows, developing and presenting training materials for complex grantmaking, advising on program-related investments, and supporting human resources policies and procedures.
- Review grant proposals, agreements and reports, and facilitate the organization’s giving by advising staff on how to address legal aspects of grantmaking
- Review, negotiate and draft a variety of contracts and other agreements, and oversee the contract management function, including ensuring that contract and grant-agreement processes are up-to-date and effective
- Conduct legal research and analyze legal issues that affect the organization and its activities at the local, state, federal, and international levels, and prepare findings, recommendations, templates, and plans to effectively advise the organization
- Create staff-friendly policies, procedures and systems around a variety of legal compliance and risk-management issues
- Stay up-to-date with and advise staff on laws applicable to private foundations, public charities and social welfare organizations, including IRS lobbying, self-dealing and campaign intervention rules
- Provide counsel on the state, federal and international rules that apply to HU, including providing advice and designing compliance programs related to HU’s local/state lobbying disclosure act and charitable fundraising activities
- Prepare employment documents, maintain the organization’s employee handbook, and provide advice on human resources and employment law matters
- Serve as a broad-based resource for staff legal concerns and collaborate to find practical answers to a diverse range of legal questions associated with HU’s programmatic work and operations
- Manage the organization’s trademark portfolio and advise the Communications staff on issues related to intellectual property, including licensing
- Assist in developing and presenting training on legal issues
- Strategically consult with and effectively manage outside counsel
- Manage the reporting and other compliance requirements for the organization’s impact investments, including program-related investments
- Serve as a thought partner for the General Counsel
- Coordinate with legal personnel at peer foundations regarding best practices
- Other duties and projects as assigned by the General Counsel
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- J.D. from an accredited, top-twenty law school, a strong academic record and a minimum of 4 years of related work experience. Current admission to the California bar or eligibility for immediate admission as registered in-house counsel is required.
- Experience at a major law firm, in-house at a large corporation and/or at a private foundation, public charity or social welfare organization is required. A demonstrated commitment to nonprofits is highly desirable.
SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal skills, including a deep commitment to customer service, humility and the ability to learn quickly and work effectively with the General Counsel and clients at all levels of the organization
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability to understand complex legal concepts and offer succinct and practical explanations and counsel to colleagues
- Experience with, and working knowledge of, the federal and state laws applicable to 501(c)(3) private foundations, 501(c)(3) public charities and/or 501(c)(4) social welfare organizations
- Experience with, and working knowledge of, one or more of the following is highly desirable:
- Contract review, negotiation, drafting and contract process management
- Employment laws and policies
- Transactional law and early stage investing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to explain complicated legal concepts to non-legal colleagues in understandable terms
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently but with the judgment to know when to seek guidance
- Flexibility and adaptability to address legal concerns in a dynamic environment
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at its discretion.
Please submit your letter of inquiry and resume